In 1993, Ronald DeSumma and William Wexler established DeSumma & Wexler Fine Jewelry on Philadelphia’s historic Jewelers’ Row.
Ron and Bill felt that their mission was simple:
- Treat customers as they would want to be treated
- Provide a comfortable atmosphere without the pressure of hard selling
- Establish long term relationships with customers to keep them coming back year after year
- Educate shoppers through knowledgeable staff with industry experience
- Provide fine quality jewelry for customers to enjoy for years to come
After starting their venture during a bad recession and being undercapitalized (they were told that they were crazy by just about every merchant on the street) DeSumma & Wexler Fine Jewelry grew – a testament to their mission.
On the opening day of the store, their customer base, including family members, was a little over 50 people. Today it has grown to over 10,000!
Since the store’s opening, many changes in the jewelry industry have taken place. Low quality commercial jewelry has gotten even lower for the sake of advertising low prices. Jewelry is now being sold on the Internet with no personal contact and poor customer service. Big box superstores are now selling jewelry. Voicemail is now the typical greeting you get when you contact a business for help. As much as times and technology has changed,
Ron and Bill’s mission still remains the same:
- You will always be greeted by a real person when you call
- Ron or Bill are always present during business hours
- All of our salespeople are jewelry professionals with GIA credentials
- DeSumma & Wexler Fine Jewelry’s staff works on a non-commission basis, so you know that our interest is in your interest
As much as a success story as we have become, we are ever changing. Some new and exciting things will be happening in the future, and in the second generation of our business, Michael Wexler will carry the torch to help oversee these changes and continue evolving the DeSumma & Wexler Fine Jewelry philosophy into the next generation of customers.
Mike now helps sell engagement rings to the children of customers that bought their engagement rings from Ron and Bill! No matter how quickly times and technology change, our mission will always remain the same as it was on opening day back in 1993, and that’s our promise to you.